Apply now

Ready to apply? Your journey starts here

Applicants must be citizens from the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand or South Africa (this is according to China’s working visa regulations)

  • Must have a Bachelor Degree
  • 120 hour TEFL/TESOL/CELTA or teaching qualification (or willing to obtain one) or 2 years post graduate certificate in education.
  • Clean criminal background check, valid within 6 months – will need to be notarized.

If you’re interested in working and living in Hangzhou or Huzhou, please fill in the form opposite and upload your supporting documents.

Alternatively, please send your formal CV to Andrew Miles.

Frequently asked questions

Can I apply if I don’t have teaching experience?

Teaching experience is not a requirement, as we take on both qualified and/or experienced teachers. We provide complete training and onboarding for all new teachers to ensure you have all of the necessary skills to help prepare you for life in the classroom.

What is the contract length?

We offer both 15-month and 24-month contracts.

What are the working hours like?

This is a 40-hour full-time position, with a maximum of 20 teaching hours per week, outside of peak seasons. The remaining hours are office hours, typically spent planning lessons and completing administrative tasks such as test marking and student reports. We work with students outside of their public schooling schedule. Working hours are typically weekday afternoons, evenings and weekends, with two consecutive days off per week during weekdays.

When are peak seasons, and what do they entail?

For six weeks in the summer and three weeks during the winter we take on extra classes. During this time, teaching hours may increase to a maximum of 26 hours per week. Office hours are reduced in order to compensate, meaning that overall working hours remain the same as normal.

Do you provide and/or help towards housing?

We provide a 3,000 RMB per month housing allowance as part of the salary package. This is usually a sufficient amount to cover the cost of monthly rent for a decent, modern one-bedroom studio apartment. Teachers are free to choose whether to live alone, or to share.

Will I receive support in finding a place to live?

All of our schools have logistics and support staff that assist new teachers in helping to find an apartment, set up a bank account and provide help whenever necessary. Often a rental agency or landlord will require 3 months of rent + deposit up-front. We’re able to provide an initial loan of up to 10,000 RMB to help with this. The loan will be paid back out of the first three month’s salary at a rate of 3,000, 3000 and 4,000 respectively.

Do you provide airport pick-up?

We will have somebody meet you at the airport and take you directly to a temporary apartment or an all-expenses paid hotel where you will reside during the first 2-weeks.

Do you cover the costs of flights and visa?

We provide both flight and visa reimbursement, but do not cover the costs up-front. For the visa, you’ll be reimbursed after serving the 2-month probation period. Flight reimbursement is a fixed figure of 11,250 RMB and 18,000 RMB for the 15-month and 24-month contracts respectively. You’ll receive reimbursement in 6 monthly installments.

Does EF offer medical insurance?

Yes, we do. We work with two companies to provide health insurance to all of our teachers. The package allows you to use public hospitals and health centers, and you will be reimbursed for any treatment.

What is the uniform policy?

We provide teachers with EF long and short sleeve shirts. These are to be worn with khaki or beige pants and black or brown formal footwear which we expect teachers to provide themselves. All upper body clothing and accessories are provided by EF Education First and tailored to male and female specifications.

How much holiday can I take?

As well as 10 days paid leave, China has twelve days of public holidays. If you pair your weekends with your leave, you can take two week long paid trips during your contract, and still have a few days left over.

Can I work on a business or student visa?

No. If any schools offer employment on anything other than a Z visa, they are operating illegally. EF Hangzhou only ever brings teachers here on Z visas.

What is the visa process?

Upon accepting an offer, you would need to obtain a police background check notarize your degree certificate. Once both of these have been authenticated, we will process a work permit, and post this to you. This will allow you to obtain the Z-visa from a Chinese embassy or consulate.

How long does this process take?

Typically, this will take 6 weeks at a minimum, 8 weeks on average. We keep in regular contact throughout.

Apply now!


    TEFL Qualification
    Online TEFL CertificateOnline TEFL with practical moduleTESOL CertificateCELTA/TrinityTEFL DegreeNone

    Please upload your supporting documents below
    (3mb max file size)


    Applicants in China

    Our online application form sometimes has problems for people within China. If you’re having difficulty, please email us your application directly.

    Thank you and good luck!